Sunday, April 28, 2013

I'll Be Staying Home...This Year

As you may already know, the RT Booklovers Convention 2013 is this week in Kansas City. It is, apparently, a ginormous reader/author/industry-folk convention and everyone and their dog is going to be there. The list of authors attending is ridiculously awesome. Some personal favs include "old school" romance authors who are still going strong like Jude Deveraux, Bertrice Small, Karen Robards, Heather Graham, and Julie Garwood. (!!!) Authors whose books are on my keeper shelves like Cherry Adair, Thea Divine, Lora Leigh, and Beth Kery, to new (to me) authors like Roxanne St. Claire, Victoria Dahl, Kristen Callihan, and Sylvia Day. Go ahead and go back to the authors list and fan-girl (or boy) out again. Right? *sigh*

So, from a reader's standpoint, the convention sounds like a cool way to meet lots of amazing authors and other readers.

While I've read romance for a long, long time now, I have more recently hung out a shingle as a romance writer. Gulp. *waves* There is plenty to learn and a convention like RT 2013 sounds like a great opportunity to attend workshops and network as well.

But, I'm not going. I decided a few months ago that for several reasons, despite the convention being a drivable distance away, not to go. Argh. Hopefully, it will work out another year. Just not this one.

This list of FAQs about #RT13 is impressive, but I'd like to hear from you. What advice would you give to an aspiring author attending the RT convention? How helpful or effective have you found such conventions to be?

Happy Travels! I'll be following the hashtag on twitter and prepping for another convention or conference some day soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment